Navigating a divorce can be challenging, especially because divorce tends to be an emotional process. If you are filing for divorce from your spouse, then it is critical to consult with an experienced Virginia divorce attorney. An attorney can defend your parenting and property rights, provide sound legal advice, and help you navigate the complexities of a divorce case.
Below, we’ll look at a list of the top ten questions you should consider asking your potential divorce attorney before hiring them.
- Does your firm focus on divorce and family law, or is divorce just one of the many things that your firm handles? What is your experience handling divorce cases, and how long have you been practicing?
- Can you give me some specific references for other clients you’ve represented?
- Will you be the only attorney working on my case, or will another attorney be involved? If another attorney will be working on my case as well, what level of involvement will they have, and what is their experience? Would it be possible to set up a meeting with them?
- Do you keep your clients informed at every stage of the legal process? Do you regularly communicate with your clients? How can I get ahold of you if an emergency arises?
- How do you collect legal fees? How much is your retainer? During the divorce process, will you charge me by the hour? If so, what is your hourly rate? Am I also charged if I consult with others in your firm, including lawyers and paralegals?
- What other expenses will I need to cover as a client? For example, will I need to cover costs for expert consultants, investigators, and others? How will I be charged for those costs?
- Are there ways for me to save money throughout the process? What can I contribute to the case to keep costs down?
- Can you give me an estimate regarding how much my divorce proceedings will cost me based on the facts of my case? (When you ask this question, you may not get a straight answer from the attorney, and that’s not surprising. Any good attorney will acknowledge up front that it isn’t possible to predict precisely how much a case will cost by the end because numerous factors must be considered. Until the divorce is finalized, it can be challenging to know what kinds of disputes will arise, how long the proceedings will take, and what costs you’ll incur throughout the process. You should be wary of attorneys who offer an exact estimate, particularly if the amount seems like a great deal.)
- Can you outline a specific strategy for my divorce case? How much time do you believe it will take to finalize my divorce?
- Having reviewed the details of my case, what do you think are my chances of success? How do you define success?
Contact the Family Law Attorneys at Roop Xanttopoulos Babounakis PLLC Today
You shouldn’t initiate the divorce process without proper legal representation, especially if your ex has retained counsel. The Virginia divorce attorneys at Roop Xanttopoulos Babounakis PLLC have the knowledge and resources to protect your rights, advocate for your interests, and help you resolve any disputes that arise during divorce proceedings in a way that benefits you.
We understand how complex divorce can be, and the last thing you want to do is draw out the process or walk away with less than you deserve. Contact our Vienna Tysons, Northern Virginia family law firm Roop Xanttopoulos Babounakis PLLC today to discuss the details of your case and learn about our compassionate lawyers can help.
- How Do I Choose The Best Collaborative Divorce Lawyer For Me (and for my spouse)? - May 19, 2022
- Ten Questions to Ask Your Potential Divorce Attorney - February 14, 2022
- Obtaining a No-Fault Divorce is Now Easier in Virginia Thanks to a New Law - February 11, 2022