David was a lifesaver, and I highly recommend David Roop and his firm for anyone going through a divorce.
Roop Xanttopoulos Babounakis is a fantastic firm. I have the utmost respect for David Roop. He helped me through an incredibly contentious divorce with carefully crafted legal and financial management strategies. My ex is an attorney himself and represented by an aggressive attorney who has no care about the human destruction she and her client inflicted. I successfully prevailed in the end with David’s help. He set me on the right, carefully calculated course and kept me calm during moments of utter insanity. David brings a human element to an inhumane process. David was a lifesaver, and I highly recommend David Roop and his firm for anyone going through a divorce.
DAVID E. ROOP, JR
David is a cum laude graduate of the University of Notre Dame (B.A. 1985) and an honors graduate of the University of Maryland School of Law (J.D. 1991). He is admitted to practice in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Mr. Roop’s practice has focused in the area of domestic relations and family law since 1996. He has tried countless equitable distribution, support and custody cases. From 1991 to 1996, he was a trial lawyer in Maryland, DC and Virginia in the areas of contract, tort, and malpractice defense. Before law school, he was a Peace Corps volunteer in Kongolo, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo). He has been happily married since 1992 to Anna-Marie Christello-Roop, a graduate of Yale Law School who now helps him run ROOPXANTTOPOULOS BABOUNAKIS PLLC. They have two children.
For more than 10 years, Mr. Roop has carried an AV-Preeminent rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register. In 2004-05, Mr. Roop served as Chair of the Standing Committee on Professionalism of the Virginia State Bar. For three years thereafter, he was appointed by the Chief Judge of the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve as a Faculty member at professionalism courses conducted throughout the state. He currently serves on a Virginia State Bar disciplinary committee for evaluating lawyer misconduct. He has twice appeared on the cover of Virginia Lawyers Weekly for groundbreaking work in the areas of spousal support and domicile. He has been recognized as one of the preeminent divorce lawyers in Virginia and/or Washington DC by the following organizations or periodicals:
In February 2009, David E. Roop Jr. created ROOP XANTTOPOULOS BABOUNAKIS PLLC, having spent thirteen years at Condo Roop Kelly & Byrnes and its predecessor(s). He understands the emotional and financial toll of divorce. Mr. Roop brings to the practice of family law, a sense of fairness, substantial trial ability, mathematical aptitude, courtroom ability, experience with children, and a commitment to resolve matters in the best interests of the family.
David E. Roop Jr.
Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you might find yourself in a situation where you or a family member needs family law legal representation. Because divorce can be an emotionally taxing experience for any family you will need the best in your corner. if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation then David Roop and his team will fight on your behalf. In general divorce attorneys aren’t necessarily known for bringing people together, but that’s often a vital part of what they do. David Roop came highly recommended as an attorney who works to negotiate different options with his clients. David is a brilliant level-headed attorney who is not going to bully or create additional drama to prolong the process. David is thorough with his attention to detail, he has knowledge of the current case law, a photographic memory and most importantly he thinks out of the box to resolve disputes. Recently for a family member he dug deep in past cases and found a case which resolved a financial dispute. I have the highest regard for him because he is a problem solver not a problem maker. Divorce lawyers shouldn't be high drama, escalating emotions and stroking egos it is about coming to a resolution so that the family can begin to heal. Unfortunately, life is not always fair and you only get one shot. I would always recommend David Roop and his law firm. They are all you need for the best representation in these difficult family disputes.
David E. Roop Jr.
I've worked with every lawyer at Roop Xanttopoulos Babounakis, and they are universally thoughtful, highly strategic, and able to educate clients about different options and approaches. If you have a complex equitable distribution case with business valuation issues, there are few who can match Dave Roop's knowledge of the complex intersection of the law and technical aspects of business valuation
David E. Roop Jr.
Roop Xanttopoulos Babounakis is a fantastic firm. I have the utmost respect for David Roop. He helped me through an incredibly contentious divorce with carefully crafted legal and financial management strategies. My ex is an attorney himself and represented by an aggressive attorney who has no care about the human destruction she and her client inflicted. I successfully prevailed in the end with David's help. He set me on the right, carefully calculated course and kept me calm during moments of utter insanity. David brings a human element to an inhumane process. David was a lifesaver, and I highly recommend David Roop and his firm for anyone going through a divorce.
- University of Maryland Law School,Juris Doctor, with honors (1991).
- University of Notre Dame, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude (1985) .
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Virginia State Bar Member
- Family Law Section of the Virginia State Bar
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- Chair, Professionalism Committee Virginia State Bar (2004-2005)
- Member, 5th District Disciplinary Committee Virginia State Bar (2010 – present)
- Member, Fairfax County Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Faculty
- Member, Professional Course, Virginia State Bar (2004-2007)
- Best Lawyers in America (2008 – present)
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education, Virginia State Bar
- Peace Corps Volunteer, Kongolo, Zaire (1985 – 1987)
- Named to Washingtonian Magazine, Northern Virginia Magazine and Richmond Magazine, Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Named as a Best Law Firm in the United States by US News & World Report (2010 – present)
Areas of Practice
- Spousal Support
- Complex Assets & Business Valuations
- Custody Evaluations
- Interstate and InternationalCustody Disputes
- Independent Psychological Evaluation
- Relocation Cases
- Domestic Relations Law
- Equitable Distribution
- Negotiated Settlement
- Collaborative Divorce
- Military Divorce
- International Divorce
- Division of Marital Property
- Division of Hybrid Property (Marital and Separate Property)
- Tracing Separate Property
- Business Valuations
- Government Retirement Benefits FERS CRS VIRSTSPADRO
- Private Sector Employee Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Health Insurance for Spouses and Children
- Restricted Stock, Stock Options and Defered Compensation
- Private Sector Retirement Benefits
- Family Tax Issues
- Alimony/Spousal Support
- Tax Implications of Support
- Spousal Support Reservations
- Imputation of Income
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child Support
- Child Abduction and Kidnapping
- Supervised Visitation
- Custody Evaluations
- Guardian Ad Litem Coordination
- International Family Law
- Domestic Violence
- Protective Orders
- Enforcement Actions/Rule to Show Cause
- Marital Agreements
- Property Settlement Agreements
- Child Custody Agreements
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Wealth Management
- Post-Divorce Issues
- Modification of Child Support
- Modification of Spousal Support
- Modification of Child Custody