skip to Main Content
Call Us Today: (703) 442-0040 REQUEST A CONSULTATION

Military Divorce FAQS

Under 50 U.S.C. app. § 524, the maximum duration of stay is the period of service plus 3 months after discharge.

Generally, no. The Commonwealth of Virginia has jurisdiction over a military party if they meet the normal residency requirements. An exception might exist if you or your spouse is stationed in Virginia for at least six months prior to filing for divorce.

Although the “Basic Allowance for Housing” or “BAH” may provide a temporary determination of support during active duty, a Commonwealth of Virginia Court Order and Virginia Child Support Guidelines will determine the presumptive support obligation. In Virginia, the total support obligation, spousal/ child, shall not exceed 60% of a military member’s pay and allowances.

The attorneys at The Roop Law Firm will bring their experience, empathy and talent to work for the best interests of you and your family for your military divorce.



If you would like to request an appointment please contact our family law firm by calling (703) 442-0040
or by sending us a message below

[contact-form-7 id=”290″ title=”Contact form 1″]

Back To Top