The following are the steps required in order to complete a remote online notarization (RON) of a document:
- In order to get started, each participant must provide an email address. Each signer’s email address MUST be unique; sharing email addresses amongs spouses for example is not permitted.
- The notary will upload the document to be signed, and each participant will then receive an email from DocVerify:
From: DocVerify <[email protected]>
Subject: REMOTE E-NOTARY ACTION REQUIRED
Date: April 16, 2020 at 11:27:06 AM EDT
You have been requested to participate in a remote notarization. Please click on the button below to get started as the notary may be waiting for your ID Verification and/or signature. If the notary isn’t waiting, you can still start the process in order to be ready for when the e-notarization takes place.
START NOTARY TRANSACTION
- Click on the link in the email, “START NOTARY TRANSACTION.”
- You will be asked to complete an ID verification process using knowledge-based authentication (KBA). As part of the KBA process you must correctly answer a set of 4 to 5 computer-generated questions related to your life, credit and financial history. This must be completed on the DocVerify website prior to your scheduled RON appointment.
- Upon completion of the ID verification process, each participant will be asked to create their e-signatures.
- Once the participants have completed the ID verification process, the notary is notified by DocVerify.
- When the Notary is ready to begin the RON session, the participant(s) will receive an email from DocVerify:
From: DocVerify <[email protected]>
Subject: NOTARY WAITING – JOIN REMOTE E-NOTARY SESSION
Date: April 16, 2020 at 11:37:45 AM EDT
As a legal requirement, it is required that you use a device that has a camera with audio in order to complete the remote e-Notarization process. Please click on the button below to get started as the notary may be waiting. If you still haven’t completed your ID verification you will be given the opportunity to complete it during the session. The ID verification is also legally required, and the remote notarization cannot be completed without it.
This session is time sensitive as it will expire in a few minutes from now, and you will have to wait for a new request in order to try again.
JOIN E-NOTARY SESSION
After you click on the link, you may have to download the meeting viewer in order to join it.
- Click on the “JOIN E-NOTARY SESSION” link in the email. You must access the session from a computer that has both a camera and microphone, so that the notary is able to both see and hear you. It is a good idea to test this function prior to the session. You may need to specifically allow the DocVerify website to access to your camera and microphone.
- The notary will start the session and and allow the participants to join via video and audio.
- Once the session has started, all parties will be able to see and hear each other. Note that certain portions of the notarial act are recorded as required by Virginia law.
- The notary will ask each participant to state his/her full name and acknowledge the document that is being signed.
- The notary will drag and drop elements such as signature blocks and notary stamps onto the document to complete the transaction.
- Once the participants have entered their signatures and had their video recorded, the notary will click the “Notarize” button to complete and finish the notarial act, and the RON session will immediately end.
- Each participant will receive the notarized document via their email address, and they can also create a free account to access their documents.
- How a Potential Fall/Winter Lockdown Could Affect Your Virginia Divorce Case - October 19, 2020
- Roop Xanttopoulas Babounakis PLLC Attorneys Named as Washingtonian Top Lawyers - April 30, 2020
- Remote Online Notarization (RON) Using DocVerify - April 22, 2020