DAVID E.ROOP, JR
David is a cum laude graduate of the University of Notre Dame (B.A. 1985) and an honors graduate of the University of Maryland School of Law (J.D. 1991). He is admitted to practice in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.
Mr. Roop’s practice has focused in the area of domestic relations and family law since 1996. He has tried countless equitable distribution, support and custody cases. From 1991 to 1996, he was a trial lawyer in Maryland, DC and Virginia in the areas of contract, tort, and malpractice defense. Before law school, he was a Peace Corps volunteer in Kongolo, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of Congo). He has been happily married since 1992 to Anna-Marie Christello-Roop, a graduate of Yale Law School who now helps him run ROOPXANTTOPOULOS BABOUNAKIS PLLC. They have two children.
For more than 10 years, Mr. Roop has carried an AV-Preeminent rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register. In 2004-05, Mr. Roop served as Chair of the Standing Committee on Professionalism of the Virginia State Bar. For three years thereafter, he was appointed by the Chief Judge of the Supreme Court of Virginia to serve as a Faculty member at professionalism courses conducted throughout the state. He currently serves on a Virginia State Bar disciplinary committee for evaluating lawyer misconduct. He has twice appeared on the cover of Virginia Lawyers Weekly for groundbreaking work in the areas of spousal support and domicile. He has been recognized as one of the preeminent divorce lawyers in Virginia and/or Washington DC by the following organizations or periodicals:
Best Lawyers in America, U.S. News & World Report
Northern Virginia Magazine
In February 2009, David E. Roop Jr. created ROOP XANTTOPOULOS BABOUNAKIS PLLC, having spent thirteen years at Condo Roop Kelly & Byrnes and its predecessor(s). He understands the emotional and financial toll of divorce.Mr. Roop brings to the practice of family law, a sense of fairness, substantial trial ability, mathematical aptitude, courtroom ability, experience with children, and a commitment to resolve matters in the best interests of the family.
- University of Maryland Law School,Juris Doctor, with honors (1991).
- University of Notre Dame, Bachelor of Arts, cum laude (1985) .
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Virginia State Bar Member
- Family Law Section of the Virginia State Bar
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- Chair, Professionalism Committee Virginia State Bar (2004-2005)
- Member, 5th District Disciplinary Committee Virginia State Bar (2010 – present)
- Member, Fairfax County Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Faculty
- Member, Professional Course, Virginia State Bar (2004-2007)
- Best Lawyers in America (2008 – present)
- Lecturer, Continuing Legal Education, Virginia State Bar
- Peace Corps Volunteer, Kongolo, Zaire (1985 – 1987)
- Named to Washingtonian Magazine, Northern Virginia Magazine and Richmond Magazine, Best Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- Named as a Best Law Firm in the United States by US News & World Report (2010 – present)
Areas of Practice
- Negotiated Settlement
- Colaborative Divorce.
- Military Divorce
- International Divorce
- Division of Military Property
- Division of Hybrid Property(Material and Separate property)
- Tracing Separate Property
- Busines valuations
- Government Retirement Benefits FERS CRS VIRSTSPADRO
- Private Sector Employee Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Health Insurance for spouses and Children
- Restricted Stock, Stock Options and Defered Compensation.
- Private Sector Retirement Benefits .
- FamilyTax Issues
- Alimony/Spousal Support
- Tax Implications of Support
- Spousal Support Reservations
- Imputation of Income
- Child Custody and visitation
- Child Support
- Child Abduction and Kidnapping
- Supervised visitation
- Custody Evaluations
- Guardian Ad Litern Coordination
- International Family Law.
- Domestic violence.
- Protective Orders
- Enforcement Actions/Rule to Show Cause
- Marital Agreements
- Property Settlement Agreements
- Child Custody Agreements
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Wealth Management
- Post-Divorce Issues
- Modification of Child support
- Modification of Spousal Support
- Modification of Child Custody
- Roop Xanttopoulas Babounakis PLLC Attorneys Named as Washingtonian Top Lawyers - April 30, 2020
- Remote Online Notarization (RON) Using DocVerify - April 22, 2020
- Congratulations to our partner Alex on becoming an AV PREEMINENT Rated Attorney! - January 3, 2019